20th April 2017
After the howling gales, floods and short dark days of winter, it’s a joy to finally see the budding of flowers and blossoming of trees. The bursting of colour within our gardens is a sure sign that Spring is on its way, heralding the time to get outside and ensure your property passes the ‘curb appeal’ test. Traditionally a buoyant time of year for marketing a property, you need to take action now to ensure your garden plays its part in selling your home:
1. Clear the winter debris from your lawn. When the grass is no longer sopping wet, rake your lawn to remove dead growth, stray twigs and leaves and bring much welcomed light and air to the soil.
2. Re-seed bare lawns. Scratch the soil surface and liberally apply with grass seed! Keep watered until the seeds germinate and new grass is established.
3. Cut back last seasons dead foliage. Transplant any existing shrubs before they leaf out. Trim dead leaves, branches and grasses and use the trimmings to start this years compost heap.
4. Resist the urge to dig your flowerbeds too soon. If your soil is clumped and doesn’t easily fall apart in your hands, you can damage the soils structure by digging too early. Wait until it’s dry before adding compost; but start the weeding now!
5. Repair any broken fences or garden furniture that may have been damaged over winter.